Thursday, March 1, 2012
Entrepreneurship: How to Start Your Own Business
If you have been thinking of starting your own business but with a little information on how to make the first step, then, you have to take the following into great consideration.
1. Decide what type of business you want to put up. You may ask to some of your successful friends what is a good type of business. Well, they might suggest some, but the right answer is in you. Deciding what type of business you would put up means reflecting deeply the things you want to do and things you are good at. Look ahead and ask yourself these questions: Am I willing to do this business everyday for years? What do I love to do? What are the things that are both profitable, at the same time, things that I find enjoyable? These questions will lead you to specific type of business you want to put up. Take your time.
2. Do research. Once you have determined a particular type of business you want to put up, study its profitability. You simply don’t put up a business you love, don’t you? You still have to think if the business will click. Feasibility study would do the job. In other words, study if the business you are trying to put up will return to you the investment you have given. In here, you have to decide where to put up your business. Remember that a certain type of business would hit big time in one place but not on the other, so make sure that the place you will choose will give you good sales once you have opened.
3. Decide on the name. Create a name that is snappy; the name that will put every element of your business in a nutshell. A name may or may not be short as long as it distinguishable.
4. Decide on the form of business. Form of business means that you will have to choose between, incorporation, partnership, and sole proprietorship. Know the difference between the 3 and what are their advantages and disadvantages to you.
5. The registration. Most businesses must be registered and there are processes to follow. You need to reserve for the business name and registering your business. One state might have different business registration procedure from another. Check the information on the website of your state.
6. Get the license and business number. Register for the PST and the GST/HST. All these must be accomplished before you can operate your business. Again, you may want to check on the whole procedure of starting a business on your state.
7. Get you employees ready. Having an employee helping you will certainly give additional boost on your business. It may be the last thing you would think on the early stage of business but it is nice to know that when you have an employee, you know there is someone who can assist you as you go along the way.
8. Get business insurance. A support net would come in handy once you fall from the sky. Research on the types of business insurances that you can get.
9. Get started. Give a good start and keep your name clean. You may want to study more on the principles of entrepreneurship as you go along.
Although all these may sound easy or awfully hard task, you still need to understand how the business world works. Yes, having read this would not mean that you would instantly become a tycoon. These are only your initial steps; somewhat the basic information you need to know when you decide to start a business of your own. To become a successful entrepreneur, you need to dedicate you whole heart and soul to the business you love. Before you know it, you are a growing businessman.
Once you have started, never disregard the chance of failure. And this should not demoralize you. It is just the part of the game. Learn how to adapt to the business and charge all your failures to experience. You will learn as you go along. Successful people never give up. Remember, always head forward but have time to look back and learn from the past. Good luck.